Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
Dave Johns

User Profile

Subject : Delamination After Removing Veneer Tape
Posted : 2022-05-03 1:49 PM
Post #38016

Forgive me if this is a dumb question as I am fairly new to veneer work.

I have been experimenting with veneer panels and the latest one involves a quilted maple field and makore border separated by a decorative line.

I used standard paper veneer tape to stitch the pattern together. The pattern was then pressed to a 1/8” baltic ply substrate along with a backer veneer. I used TBIII applied with a foam roller.

All went well until it came time to remove the veneer tape. I allowed the panel to fully cure over night before I removed the tape. In order to remove the veneer tape I applied water to the tape through a cotton rag using the water as sparingly as possible. The tape came off relatively easily, however, the moisture caused the maple veneer to bubble in places and actually delaminate in areas.

What am I doing wrong? Is this a result of a glue starved joint between the veneer and the substrate? The problem only seems to occur with the quilted maple veneer, is this veneer more porous and therefore require something different?

Any advice from more experienced veneer people would be greatly appreciated.
Attached file : IMG_0359 (7).jpeg (44KB - 7 downloads)

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Subject : RE: Delamination After Removing Veneer Tape
Posted : 2022-05-03 2:56 PM
Post #38017 - In reply to #38016

Was the delamination just where the quilted maple meets the inlay and the border? Were there any places out in the middle of the quilted maple where you taped it that delaminated as well?

^ Top
Dave Johns

User Profile

Posted : 2022-05-03 3:45 PM
Post #38018 - In reply to #38017

The delamination seems to occur where the maple meets the inlay (line). I can feel ripples in the maple in a number of areas around the edge. The middle of the maple field seems to have adhered quite well and is flat. Of course there was no tape in the middle so if was not exposed to any water from removal of the tape.

I have been doing some research and found that some advise scuff sanding of both the glue side of the veneer and the substate before glue up. Could this be the problem given that maple can be a challenge to bond?

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2022-05-03 5:04 PM
Post #38019 - In reply to #38018

There’s a number of things I dont know about your layup, hence the difficulty of online communication and trouble shooting.

I’m pretty sure the issue is about the thickness difference between the inlay, border veneer and the quilted maple. I’m assuming the inlay was ever so slightly thicker than the maple which would impede the ability of getting good pressure at this point. I recommend 1/16” natural gum rubber between the veneer and cover sheet to handle the thickness variation between your three different materials. Be aware that the slightest thickness variation can cause the problem you are experiencing. Wetting the veneer tape did not release your glue bond but just showed the fact that the veneer was not fully bonded there.

^ Top
Dave Johns

User Profile

Posted : 2022-05-04 11:51 AM
Post #38020 - In reply to #38019

Thanks for the reply Darryl.

What you say makes a lot of sense and naively I had not considered how the vacuum pressure would get to the edge where there is a mismatch in material height.

I will have to rethink how to make the press work. I like your suggestion of using a rubber caul layer. If I understand correctly the rubber will allow the mismatch material to make an impression and thereby allow pressure right into the edge of the joint.

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2022-05-04 6:31 PM
Post #38021 - In reply to #38020

Yes, that is exactly what the sheet natural gum rubber will do. Put a caul of at least 1/4”on top of the gum rubber.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta