< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
Thomas Sharum

User Profile

Subject : Unibond 800 quantity calculations
Posted : 2021-07-11 8:16 AM
Post #37988

Hello,
This is my first post to this forum, and I new to veneering. I am building all new kitchen cabinets and I want to veneer Birdseye maple to all doors and drawers using Unibond 800. I will need a fair amount of glue so I don’t want to waste any. My question is this, I am looking for a mathematical formula as to how much of the three parts to mix and how many square inches that will cover. For maximum accuracy I want to do this by weight. Also because I’m new at this I want the longest open time. To simplify this ____ grams glue + ____ grams powder + ____ grams blocker = how many square inches of coverage. Sorry to be so long winded, I just don’t want to mix up too little or too much glue. Thanks in advanced for any and all responses.

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Subject : RE: Unibond 800 quantity calculations
Posted : 2021-07-11 12:46 PM
Post #37989 - In reply to #37988

The amount used per square foot will vary, possibly a lot, depending on the application method you use, how much remains in the mixing container and the mixing device, how absorptive the substrate is, and how thick a layer of glue is left on the substrate.

My suggestion is to get an initial gallon of resin, an appropriate amount of powder and blocker, sample veneer the same as you intend to use, and substrate you intend to use, and experiment, keeping data as you go. when I did a number of small stands, I would record by weight the container, resin, powder, "dry" weight of the 3", 4", or 9" foam roller, the "wet" weight of the roller after the glue was applied, the remaining weight of the mixing container and remaining mixed glue. I always estimated how much to mix, and added I think 10% because I felt it much more desirable to have some excess than not enough, and I allowed for a certain amount for a zip lock bag to judge when the glue had set sufficiently that the heating pad in winter could be unplugged and the vacuum pump turned off.

I applied a layer of glue so that when dragging my finger through it a small ridge was left on each side, but how much of a ridge is a judgement made by each person.

Unfortunately, experimenting before the first few veneering projects or a veneer species not used before is a cost of doing business, like ordering extra substrate and veneer to allow for cutting errors, veneer splits and other defects, and so on.

^ Top
Thomas Sharum

User Profile

Posted : 2021-07-11 1:37 PM
Post #37990 - In reply to #37989

Here is a little more info. I’m veneering raw 1/32” thick Birdseye maple to 1/2” Baltic Birch plywood on both sides. I will roll it out with a foam roller. Can you give me a ballpark of how much to use for a 24” x 48” panel gluing both sides. Thanks

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Posted : 2021-07-11 5:28 PM
Post #37991 - In reply to #37990

Because of all the variables mentioned earlier, I would not be comfortable offering any coverage guidelines. Experimenting is key. The Vacu Pressing website gives a coverage estimate per gallon as a starting point.

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2021-07-12 10:45 AM
Post #37992 - In reply to #37988

Figure about 200 to 250 sq ft of coverage per gallon. Figure down from there. As Don said, its somewhat variable....substrate, veneer and user spread amount. Its unlikely to nail it precisely, I rarely do. You also have to assume some absorption by the roller you’re spreading the glue with, almost a 1/2 cup. I usually have a little left over. Thats why I mix and spread out of plastic containers so when the extra cures, its inert. Can simply be popped out and thrown away.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta