Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
Jack Johnson

User Profile

Subject : Face gluing multiple 6' poplar boards at once
Posted : 2020-07-31 8:17 PM
Post #37944

Greetings to all! My project is building an elevated twin/full bed for my son for college. Using poplar boards that have been milled to 3/4", and looking to obtain at minimum 3" of thickness for the four corner posts. The board length will be between 6' to 7' for desk space underneath. Are there any problems associated with gluing 4 or more boards together at once and more than one corner post at once providing the vacuum bag is large enough to adequately handle more than one post? Any problems utilizing Unibond One for this or would another glue be more suitable? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

^ Top
mikemcnerney

User Profile

Subject : RE: Face gluing multiple 6' poplar boards at once
Posted : 2020-08-01 5:07 AM
Post #37945 - In reply to #37944

I don't think you can do that in the vac bag. It takes a lot more pressure to pull solid lumber together even if they are 'dead' flat. I would use a bunch of clamps and thick cauls.

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2020-08-01 5:39 PM
Post #37947 - In reply to #37945

Sorry to contradict you here Mike but I really have had good success gluing solid lumber together as long as it’s a fair amount wider than it is thick.

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2020-08-01 5:37 PM
Post #37946 - In reply to #37944

I’ve had good success pressing 4/4 solid stock together in a vacuum bag but your situation is different because what you want to press is square in cross-section if I understand you correctly. If your posts are 3“ x 3“ then the bag will be putting a significant amount of pressure on all the edges, along with the pressure on the main face. The pressure on the sides will decrease the amount of pressure on the main face so I would not use a vacuum press for this, unless you do a grouping of them side-by-side, rather closely to each other with one thick caul over the whole group. Hope this makes sense.

^ Top
Jack Johnson

User Profile

Posted : 2020-08-01 8:11 PM
Post #37948 - In reply to #37946

Thank you both for the replies! Actually, Darryl, I have not dimensioned my stock yet. At a minimum, they are 5 1/2" wide and go up from there to 10". They're also still 12' long, not that the length plays a factor in this equation. I don't see it a problem to have a caul large enough to cover whatever boards I place in the bag. I do know I want a minimum thickness of 3" and have contemplated even 4" which would entail a lamination of 6 boards face glued.

Darryl, have you used Unibond One in your similar applications or another product such as Titebond 3?

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2020-08-02 6:56 PM
Post #37950 - In reply to #37948

Unibond One or Titebond 3 will work fine. Unibond One will give you a bit harder glue line. Titebond 3 gives you a waterproof rating, not sure that matters for an interior application.

^ Top
craig tufankjian

User Profile

Posted : 2020-08-01 9:19 PM
Post #37949 - In reply to #37944

I've used my bag dozens of times for solid wood and to laminate 1/4 in solid to a staved core for exterior doors and so far have had no problems. I have found by elevating the solid wood laminations off the platen it pulls the bag down harder and provides more downward pressure. so if you set the three boards on top of say something that's an 1 1/2 thick and a 1/4 in narrower than the three boards the bag will pull down and under the three boards you glueing up.

the only drawback to using clamps is, if you are gluing up three boards you really need five. the extra two boards to equally distribute the clamp pressure. in essence the other two boards would act as cauls.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta