Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
Chuck R

User Profile

Subject : db ratngs on vacuum pumps
Posted : 2020-05-01 11:33 AM
Post #37932

Can someone tell me the db levels on the Compact 150 and the Compact 300 vacuum presses?
I am planning on buying a vacuum pump and I will mainly be using it in the continuous run position. I build acoustic guitars and will have the pump running while it is holding a guitar body on the pods I have built.
Since I work out of my home and there are others in the home while I am working I am looking for a pump that will not only hold the guitar securely on the pod, but will also be quiet enough to not cause a problem for someone else in he house. The pump may run for well over a couple of hours at a time so the noise becomes a factor.
I considered an industrial continuous running pump but the db level on them it high and would not work. So I am looking at the Compact 150 or the Compact 300 as possible alternatives.
When I called the company yesterday I was told the Compact 300 noise level was about that of an electric drill. I called back today to ask about the db rating on the Compact 150 and I was told the Compact 150 was about the same amount of noise as an electric drill. So now I have the same answer for the two different pumps. Yet both representatives told me the Compact 150 was quieter than the Compact 300.
So before I buy one I need to know the noise level as it doesn't seem that they both can be about the noise of an electric drill when both representatives said the Compact 150 was quieter than the Compact 300.
Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Chuck R

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Subject : RE: db ratngs on vacuum pumps
Posted : 2020-05-01 3:51 PM
Post #37934 - In reply to #37932

The reason you were getting a little bit of a mushy answer from Peter at the office is that we really haven’t done decibel checks on our pumps. We just say “like a drill”, so people get a general sense that they’re fairly quiet. But for you I pulled out a compact 150 pump and did a test. At roughly 2 feet I got 65 Db. At about 8 feet I got 58db. Do be aware that all our pumps are auto self cycling which means it will be turned off most of the time you would be pressing and only run occasionally for a minute or less to recycle back up to full pressure and then shut off again. The compact 300 will be a little bit more but I didn’t have an assembled one this afternoon so I couldn’t test it.

^ Top
Chuck R

User Profile

Posted : 2020-05-02 4:50 PM
Post #37935 - In reply to #37934

Thank you Darryl for doing the db check on the Compact 150. That helps me to know what the Compact 150 noise level will be. My concern is that I am not doing vacuum veneer work where the vacuum pump would do as you say and cycle being only on for a short period of time.
I am building acoustic guitars and the vacuum pump will hold the body of the guitar on while I am sanding, scrapping or French polishing the guitar. Consequently, the time interval changes from a few minutes to hours. For example when I am French polishing a guitar and have gone from a 2 pound cut to a one pound cut and finally a 1/2 pound cut of shellac I can be working on the polishing for hours at a time. It is not unusual for me to be applying the shellac for 4 to 6 hours at a time when I am down to using the 1/2 pound cut of shellac. It is drying fast enough that I can keep working on the guitar.
I have build pods that rotate both vertically and horizontally so that I will be able to just continue from say the back to a side and not have to stop to let the shellac dry when I am using a 2 pound cut.
So I will be using the vacuum pump most often in continuous operation mode. This would not be a problem if I was not building in my shop which is connected to the house and there are other family members in the home. Consequently, the db, or basic noise level, does become an issue as I do not want to be disturbing what others are trying to do.
The space I work in is approximately 15 feet from the kitchen and something like 30 feet from the open living room area. I do realize that the sound, noise if you will, will be less the further it travels.
I am trying to decrease the time it takes me to French Polish a guitar as at present if I am using a 2 pound cut I can only do say the back and one side at the most till it dries enough for me to move on to the top and the other side. With the pods I have built I will be able to move the guitar around on the pod and do a back and both sides, then switch pods and do the neck and the headstock.
I considered an industrial vacuum pump but the noise would be to great. So I thought the vacuum presses you sell either the Compact 300 or the Compact 150 might work better in that they would be quieter than an industrial pump. I'm still hoping that is the case. Knowing now what the db rating is on the Compact 150 I will try to find a piece of machinery that I have and have it running in my shop and check the db rating in both the kitchen and the living room. So I very much appreciate your checking the db rating on the Compact 150.
Would you estimate the Compact 300 to be about 10db more which would mean it is about twice as loud as the Compact 150?
Again thanks for your help. I appreciate what you have done and the information.
Chuck R

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2020-05-04 7:42 AM
Post #37936 - In reply to #37935

After reading more information about what you’re trying to do I don’t recommend you get one of our pumps at all, for two reasons. One, our pumps are predominately focused on auto self cycling which is a chunk of what you’re paying for, which you don’t need. Second, extended continuous run time with the pump inside our case will tend to overheat the motor. Our pumps are mainly for using with a bag, and hold down clamping as a secondary purpose. I suggest you get just a raw pump, either a diaphragm or a rocking piston pump as these are the quietest. I would avoid a rotary vane pump as they are much louder.

^ Top
Chuck R

User Profile

Posted : 2020-05-04 9:31 AM
Post #37937 - In reply to #37936

Wow! Thanks for the information. I was about to call you and talk to you directly about your Compact 300 and the Compact 150. I was pretty sure I wanted one of your pumps even though most of my work would have the pump in continuous run mode. I also do some furniture building and was thinking that if I got the Compact 300 and the noise wasn't to great then I would be able to do both my primary objective which is to hold a guitar body and when I want to do some veneer work I could switch it to auto cycling mode.
The first gentleman I talked to suggested I could take the case off the pump and that would help with the heat generated from the pump running for a longer time. So I was thinking of doing that.
Whatever I get I will need a fitting that will take my OD 1/4" tubing. I assume some kind of female end where the tubing slides into and is locked. The first gentleman I talked with said you sold such a fitting so at the very least I will be contacting you about the appropriate fitting or fittings that I will be needing.
Once again thank you for the information. There is a Gast pump that is 1.1cfm and has a db rating of 43 which I might take a look at since you don't recommend one of your pumps. Sad to say I was down to buying either the Compact 150 or the Compact 300 since I would be able to do both the continuous run and the auto cycling.
Again, thank you for the assistance with the information. I will contact you when I need fitting for whatever pump I end up with.

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2020-05-04 10:57 AM
Post #37938 - In reply to #37937

Well, if you are fine with taking off the cover when in long-term continuous run mode and you would actually use it for vacuum bagging as well then go ahead and get the compact 300. We tested the decibel rating on the compact 300 and it’s actually the same as the Compact 150.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta