< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
Phillip Briles

User Profile

Subject : Vac Pump Stopped Working
Posted : 2020-03-19 10:03 PM
Post #37914

Darryl,

This is one of your vac pumps. It has a serial number of 00326. With the serial number you probably do not need the dimensions but they are: 22" (L) x 8" (H) x 8" (W). It is blue in color.

I left it on compressing a workpiece and came back to check on it after about two hours. The bag seemed soft so I looked at the Hg gauge and it was zero. The pump housing was very warm to the touch, but not hot.

I unplugged and restarted it twice and nothing happened.

I purchased this from a friend about a month ago, but I have no idea how old it is. Your diagnosis would be greately appreciated.

Thanks,
Phillip

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Subject : RE: Vac Pump Stopped Working
Posted : 2020-03-20 7:18 AM
Post #37915 - In reply to #37914

Sounds like your press went into thermal overload from not shutting off and running continuously which would overheat it. Did you run it in auto cycling mode or continuous run mode? Rather than trouble shoot this here and go back and forth typing, give us a call so we can talk about it over the phone. 207-725-0935. Anytime after 9am EST.

^ Top
Phillip Briles

User Profile

Posted : 2020-03-20 1:13 PM
Post #37918 - In reply to #37915

Darryl,

Thanks for your informative response.

This morning I removed the hose and checked for obstructions. The filter had no large particulate save for minute dust. I started the vac pump and it ran normally. I have let it run (attached to the bag) for about two hours and have had no further issues.

This is an auto cycling only pump. To my knowledge, there is no continuous mode capability.

The manual notes that the pump should never run continuously over 15 minutes, but this appears to be what must have happened. The bag was properly sealed and the pump was cycling normally about every 5 minutes or so. This was followed with the pump running for about 7 seconds to bring the Hg back up to approximately 22 Hg from 17 Hg or so. In my experience, this is normal.

I have removed the cowling to blow everything off with my air compressor. The only abnormality that I found was that a small circular plastic cover had come loose. It appears to have been the shaft housing cover. As it is, it is very loose and will not stay put. I will attempt to reinstall it so it does not fall out.

The images can be seen here: http://www.wwbydesign.com/minor/vacuum-press.php

I will call once I know you have seen the images.

Thanks again for your help.

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2020-03-20 2:48 PM
Post #37919 - In reply to #37918

That is a very old unit, one of our first models. That plastic plug is nothing more than a end cap for the motor. Since the motor overheated it most likely got soft and fell out. Its more decorative than anything other than some dust control. I would not worry about putting it back.

What you may need is a new vacuum switch which do need replacing over time. We close on Friday at 4pm so unless you read this shortly you’ll have to wait until Monday to talk with us.

^ Top
Phillip Briles

User Profile

Posted : 2020-04-01 5:40 PM
Post #37927 - In reply to #37919

Darryl,

I think I am going to have to purchase the vacuum switch we talked about over the phone. Yesterday the pump worked perfectly, but today the pressure gauge showed a pressure jump from 5 to 25 in about one second. The bag removed loose as though not much air had been removed at all. Needless to say, I have to get this corrected ASAP.

Thanks,
Phillip

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2020-04-01 6:15 PM
Post #37928 - In reply to #37927

5-25 in a second or so is unlikely a switch issue. Its most likely a flow restriction. I recommend calling our office tomorrow during business hours. 8:30-5:00 207-725-0935

^ Top
Phillip Briles

User Profile

Posted : 2020-04-01 10:01 PM
Post #37929 - In reply to #37928

Will indeed call tomorrow.

I removed my glue up board and cauls and placed a large sheet of brown paper in the bag. I then sprayed the entire bag with water and found that the rightside seam was leaking, not badly, but the edge of the paper (next to the seam) was wet. I also blew out the hose just in case it was blocked with debris. It was not blocked in any way.

I will switch over to my 4'x6' bag tomorrow and see how the pump works with that bag.

I used the pump without issue yesterday, so yes, I could have a flow restriction of some sort. I was using mesh over the caul so that should have eliminated any air pockets.

I will report my findings before I call tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta