Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
Phillip Briles

User Profile

Subject : Platen Orientation
Posted : 2020-03-06 3:25 PM
Post #37896

I am planning to veneer a large jewelry box and am wondering if the veneer to be bonded should always be oriented horizontally? I ask becase this jewelry box is rather large - 19"(width) x 11"(height) x 13"(depth) - and is rather cumbersome. I think I can secure the outer platen to the side of the box when I bonded the side veneer sheets to the box. However, if it is best to bond the veneer horizontally then I will do just that.

The attached images show the box in the 4'x4' bag and the box out of the bag.

Thanks for all comments and suggestions,
Phillip

^ Top
Phillip Briles

User Profile

Subject : RE: Platen Orientation
Posted : 2020-03-06 3:36 PM
Post #37897 - In reply to #37896

Will attach the image as soon as I can figure out how to do so. 50kb is pretty small.

Thanks!

^ Top
Phillip Briles

User Profile

Posted : 2020-03-06 4:01 PM
Post #37898 - In reply to #37897

Here is a link to my webpage which shows the images noted earlier.

http://www.wwbydesign.com/minor/vacuum-press.php

Thanks.

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2020-03-07 1:19 PM
Post #37899 - In reply to #37898

It does not matter if its horizontal or vertical in the bag. Horizontal is a little more straight forward but you can definitely veneer vertically as long as you elevate your part being veneered up off the platen by a couple of inches as the bag sweeps at the bottom where it transitions off the vertical part and onto the platen board. In this “sweep” area the pressure is reduced so you want to make sure you vertical panel is above this reduced pressure area. Hope this makes sense.

^ Top
Phillip Briles

User Profile

Posted : 2020-03-07 9:53 PM
Post #37900 - In reply to #37899

Darryl,

Thanks for your detailed response to my query. While I now understand that the veneer can be bonded vertically, I am beginning to think that it is much safer to bond the veneer horizontally. I cannot afford to make a mistake with this glue up and hope that my vacuum bag test will work with the box on its side as I hope you saw in the images I linked to. I will know more tomorrow.

I have also built a small form to level to box so the surface that the veneer will be bonded to will be in a true horizontal plane. The box is not square and I feared that the veneer would slide down if the surface was not level. I will also be using a breather mesh to counteract any bleed through of the glue. I will be using your Unibond 800.

I will report back when I know more. Thanks so much for your help.

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Posted : 2020-03-08 9:37 AM
Post #37901 - In reply to #37900

When failure would be disastrous a test pressing is a great option. A test can be time consuming and frustrating, but much less expensive.

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2020-03-08 10:03 AM
Post #37902 - In reply to #37900

As long as you have a cover sheet, like a piece of 1/4” MDF or something, and tape it down, you really wont get any sliding if the piece is not perfectly horizontal.

You say you will be using a breather mesh to counteract any bleed through of the Unibond 800. I am not seeing how this will help minimize bleed through. Please explain.

^ Top
Phillip Briles

User Profile

Posted : 2020-03-08 1:49 PM
Post #37903 - In reply to #37902

According to what I have read on several forums:

- If a hard caul is used and the adhesive does bleed through the veneer, the flat surface of the caul will spread any adhesive that happens to bleen through:

- If a breather mesh is used instead of the normal hard caul, any bleed through will simply bead on the veneer which, when dry, can be scraped off leaving little or no adhesive as compared to the former method.

I was given some of this mesh and more info can be read on the following webpage:

https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/breather-mesh.htm

I hope this helps.

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2020-03-08 4:58 PM
Post #37904 - In reply to #37903

Interesting, I just might give that a try.

I see one issue with this method unless a hard caul is put on top of the mesh. The mesh alone will not level out any wrinkles that can happen when the glue comes in contact with the veneer and it swells. The mesh does not have the rigidity necessary to force down any problem areas of the veneer. I would put a caul on top of the mesh if you’re going to use this method. The only issue with this, (and that depends on the courseness of the mesh) is the mesh possibly leaving a imprint in the veneer since a hard caul is on top.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta