Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
CarlMorrell

User Profile

Subject : veneer inside of a hole.
Posted : 2019-08-05 10:02 AM
Post #37842

I am building a speaker cabinet. The hole is 12 inches in diameter, in 3/4" plywood, cut with a router and 1/4" bit. I feel the need to veneer the inside. Trying to come up with a technique.

One that comes to mind, is to use disk that was removed from the routing. Maybe cut it in half so I can get a clamp edge. And glue in 2 or 3 steps. However the 1/4" router bit made the diameter of the disk, not match the hole. I could cut another disk. Or maybe I would add the 1/4" back on to the existing disk, guessing that would be more work than cutting a new disk.

Any other ideas Darryl?

Regards, Carl

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Subject : RE: veneer inside of a hole.
Posted : 2019-08-05 7:30 PM
Post #37843 - In reply to #37842

Darryl is better looking than I am, but hope you don't mind my tossing in two cents. I like your idea to make another disk, whose diameter is just slightly less than the diameter of the hole, to allow a layer of veneer between them. My inclination is to cut the disk in half and glue the veneer in about 1/3rd the circumference at a time, using a diagonal or scarf joint.

^ Top
craig tufankjian

User Profile

Posted : 2019-08-05 7:58 PM
Post #37844 - In reply to #37842

Just add two layers of 1/8th inch cork to the disc, or one layer of 1/4 inch if you can get it. If the cork still has gaps against the hole put a saw kerf 3/4 the way down the half disc ,that will conform to the hole.

Then there’s the master Jedi way. You got an old time cold water bottle with the screw in plug at the top? If so, replace the plug with a pvc male both side adaptor. Screw a air hose connector to the end and put the water bottle in the hole and connect the air hose. Basically it’s a bladder filled with air. It will expand and therefore push the veneer tight to the sidewall of the hole.

^ Top
CarlMorrell

User Profile

Posted : 2019-08-06 9:26 AM
Post #37845 - In reply to #37842

Thanks for the suggestions. Last night, I took the original disk, cut it in half, and wrapped a nylon strap around it (from a band clamp). three or four wraps and it made the blank the correct size. Worked great.

^ Top
Jeff Patrick

User Profile

Posted : 2019-08-11 4:39 PM
Post #37846 - In reply to #37842

The OP is finished with this task, nevertheless for anyone else.... I would, very simply, use masking tape to hold the veneer strip tight to the inside surface of the hole. It takes a lot of tape. Place tabs of tape right next to one another... no gaps. Use regular pva glue. The white glue gives a bit more open time.

I've used variants of this technique on many edges.

Jeff

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta