Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Subject : Plastic Sheet on Bent Laminations
Posted : 2019-03-03 4:59 PM
Post #37834

Wondering how to wrap, what will be a rather thick bent lamination using 1/16" veneer, using 3, 4, or 6 mil plastic sheet and hold same in place without sheet overlap and masking tape causing dents in the veneer. I will be simply clamping the lamination to an outside form rather than using a vacuum bag, but still worry about denting the veneer. To avoid springback, I will be using urea resin glue.

Second, would it be safer to leave the lamination clamped until the glue is hard, or can the lamination be unclamped when the glue is rubbery. Obviously, squeezeout would be much easier to scrape off while the glue is rubbery.

Thanks all.

^ Top
Pete

User Profile

Subject : RE: Plastic Sheet on Bent Laminations
Posted : 2019-03-03 6:02 PM
Post #37835 - In reply to #37834

If you have 1/16" thick veneer, why are you worried about dents? Steam it out or sand it out if it even dents. Or don't use the plastic but maybe wax your cauls. Never really had issues with dents. The last thing I would do is take the clamps off early...

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Subject : RE: Plastic Sheet on Bent Laminations
Posted : 2019-03-04 11:51 AM
Post #37836 - In reply to #37834

If what you want is to have the least amount of spring back possible then let the glue up sit for 24hrs before taking it out of the clamps. Once out of the clamps, find a way to hold it roughly in position for another 24hrs with air flow getting to all sides. Urea glue does not fully cure when wrapped in plastic, hence the second 24hrs to get the residual moisture out. Bent laminations will not hold if you remove the clamps when the glue is rubbery. That is only good for flat unstressed work, like veneering.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta