Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
James Ritch

User Profile

Subject : Double-Sided Tape
Posted : 2018-09-05 1:27 PM
Post #37819

I am building a round side table with a walnut sunburst pattern. I will need to use my router on a trammel for several operations after the veneer is glued to the top. I do not want to drill a hole in the center of the top as the pivot point of the trammel and have seen several videos and magazine articles that attach a small block of wood to the center with double-faced tape to house the pivot point.

My concern is with the ultimate removal of the double-faced taped block. I certainly don’t want to damage those points in the center of my sunburst. I have used double-faced carpet tape and vinyl flooring tape and they can be difficult to pop loose.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a specific brand or type of tape? What about heating the block of wood to make it easier to remove?

Thanks for any suggestions.

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Subject : RE: Double-Sided Tape
Posted : 2018-09-05 7:18 PM
Post #37820 - In reply to #37819

The last double sided tape I purchased, on a recommendation, was carpet tape, Ace Hardware brand. Seems to hold well.

A couple thoughts on protecting the center of the starburst, none tried. The center could be covered with 2" veneer tape - if it bonds well to the veneer it would hold the double sided tape. Second, the block of wood could be not quite so small that it has to be attached over the center points. If say 4" x 4", a band of double stick tape around its perimeter would not be directly over the points. Lacquer thinner likely would soften the adhesive in the double sided tape so that the block could be carefully pried off.

^ Top
James Ritch

User Profile

Posted : 2018-09-06 2:19 PM
Post #37821 - In reply to #37820

Don, thank you for your reply. I have used ACE Hardware carpet tape and agree that it holds well but I was afraid that in removing it I might pull up fibers of the walnut or damage the top trying to pry it up. I think I will use a small block of wood; e.g., 4 inches square, and apply tape near two of the outer edges.

I guess I am just looking (in vain) for the perfect tape that is strong and easy to remove.

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2018-09-07 5:54 AM
Post #37822 - In reply to #37821

I get the desire for opposite qualities in a double sticky tape. Sticky when you want it, not when you don’t! I do find I can get aggressive tape to release by shoving a putty knife just a little be under a corner, then let it sit for a few minutes, then repeat with a little more pressure. Usually after a couple times of this the tape releases.

^ Top
JeffV

User Profile

Posted : 2020-10-23 8:33 PM
Post #37963 - In reply to #37822

Mineral spirits works great to loosen the adhesive on double stick tape. Just let it soak at least 10 minutes and it will be much easier to remove

^ Top
craig tufankjian

User Profile

Posted : 2020-10-23 8:38 PM
Post #37964 - In reply to #37963

Ditto on the mineral spirits...

^ Top
Brian Days

User Profile

Posted : 2020-10-24 12:38 PM
Post #37965 - In reply to #37964

Denatured alcohol also works great with carpet tape. Just flood around the tape and let it penetrate. A small squeeze bottle works great to direct the solvent.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta