Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Subject : Marquetry and veneer tape
Posted : 2018-08-01 1:17 PM
Post #37807

Totally new problem for me. I've been working on a 30" diameter panel with lots of flowers and other items, using mahogany, b e maple, oak, and other veneers. Many of the veneers are from sheets I've had for years. My studio here in Cincinnati at is not air conditioned, and it has often been humid and in the nineties. The marquetry is packet scroll sawing, something I've done many times.

While assembling I used low tack blue tape as always. After a series ton was assembled I applied white veneer tape on 5he show side, again as I've done many times, and allowed to dry under MDF or plywood.

The next day when I remove the blue tape from the glue side I'll find a few spots where a piece of veneer has expanded so much they now overlap an adjoining piece, or the seam has buckled slightly. As I've finished different sections and covered with veneer tape this has happened every time, and again when I join completed sections with veneer tape.

Same tape dispenser. This is very frustrating.

Has anyone experienced similar? Any suggestions to try so I don't have the same problem next time? Thanks. (Any typos are compliments of my cell phone.)

^ Top
Aaron Paris

User Profile

Subject : RE: Marquetry and veneer tape
Posted : 2018-08-05 5:22 PM
Post #37808 - In reply to #37807

My thought is this. Your procedure and materials are the same as always but are you doing a different pattern? Meaning if your grains are running all sorts of directions they are going to expand differently when the white tape is applied. Also you mentioned you were using veneer you had laying around for awhile. If the veneer was dryer than you thought there would be much more expansion than usual.
This particular problem has happened to me only once and that was because I did not glue each piece of veneer together before adding the veneer tape.
Don,I know you have many more years experience than I do so these are just thoughts not hard answers.

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Posted : 2018-08-08 1:39 PM
Post #37809 - In reply to #37808

A belated thank you for your thoughts Aaron. There are literally hundreds of packet scroll sawn veneer pieces in the panel. They all go together well until I cover the show side with white veneer tape. The tape has to be moistened to activate the glue, and apparently that moisture is permanently expanding at least some of the pieces. I've trimmed a number of seams with a scalpel so the pieces would lay flat and likely will have more to do.

Some of the veneer was ordered from Certainly Wood this spring, some has been on the shelf for 1 to ten years. Cincinnati has been extremely hot and humid this summer (of course) so the veneer was not overly dry.

Perhaps the problem would be solved if I covered the show side with blue masking tape instead of veneer tape, but I'd hate to try to sand the surface after the vacuum bag pushed some of the tape adhesive into the surface.

Anyone else out there?

^ Top
Aaron Paris

User Profile

Posted : 2018-08-09 12:24 PM
Post #37810 - In reply to #37809

Using the blue tape could work. I do that a lot of times when I lay up my backer veneer that will never show. It saves a lot of time on big pieces. I have no issues with residue, only slight impressions of where the tape was. Another trick to remove any stubborn residue is a heat gun once the panel is cured and your removing the blue tape. You can easily rub off the tape glue with your finger when it's warm.

^ Top
Jeff Patrick

User Profile

Posted : 2018-08-15 1:05 PM
Post #37812 - In reply to #37809

This problem certainly seems as if moisture from the white tape is the culprit. Have you tried other types of tape other than the blue masking tape? I've been successful in using the yellow Frog Tape lately. This tape is much lower tack than the blue masking tape and it is a good deal thinner. I haven't seen any indentation into the veneer from the tape being pressed down. And, there doesn't seem to be any permanent transfer of adhesive to the veneer. I never really liked using the white tape that needed to be moistened. I found that it's removal always left adhesive on the veneer that had to be scrupulously washed off or it would interfere with water dye and finishes. The Frog tape has been much more forgiving. As always.... try it before committing a major project. Jeff

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Posted : 2018-08-15 7:29 PM
Post #37814 - In reply to #37807

Using masking tape instead of veneer tape is an interesting idea, and I might eventually do some experimenting.

I had not veneer taped on the show side all the various veneers that went into the scroll sawing packet, so as part of test pressing with Blocker I'm making two copies of a very simplistic sample marquetry panel. All of the various veneers, including the background, are getting a layer of veneer tape before going in the packet. After scroll sawing and assembling, I'll have two copies to compare. On the first, I may start with two full length strips of 2" wide veneer tape and immediately cover with plywood and weight and allow to dry. Seems like it is about 16 or 18 inches wide so this will be slow and tedious, but I'm curious to see if an existing first layer of veneer tape and immediate weighting till dry keeps the various pieces from expanding and curling.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta