Darryl Keil Last Activity 2024-04-17 6:18 AM
6 replies, 3658 viewings

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
CarlMorrell

User Profile

Subject : bag is a gooey mess. dissolving?
Posted : 2018-07-08 7:23 PM
Post #37792

I have three bags, all of them kept in my garage. The oldest has to be close to 25 years old, been patched and re-nippled several times. Used it today. I have a younger larger bag in great condition, used it about a month ago.

Today I pulled out my 1x12 bag and it is a mess. It is at least 15 years old and used only a handful of times. Reading through threads, I see I am not the first to report this. One person cleaned his with a solvent, Not sure how I can clean the inside.

Just adding an other data point Darryl, I will try to clean mine, and if that's a no-go, I'll order a new one.

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Subject : RE: bag is a gooey mess. dissolving?
Posted : 2018-07-09 9:03 PM
Post #37793 - In reply to #37792

Carl, there is a phenomenon where a vinyl bag left in rolled up closed storage for a long time can sometimes produce this “gooey” substance that precipitates out to the surface of the vinyl. Your bag is not actually dissolving. It appears to be very random, only on vinyl, and only on bags rolled up and stored away. I have not found a satisfactory answer for this condition from the vinyl manufacturer. I also have never gotten a bag like this in hand that I could send away to get analyzed. I do know the simple answer is to keep a vinyl bag being stored a long time loosely rolled up and out in the open, meaning not in a sealed box. The reports are that denatured alcohol and I think, naphtha, will clean off the “goo”.

^ Top
ckurak

User Profile

Posted : 2018-07-10 9:13 AM
Post #37794 - In reply to #37793

I did a google search for "clean vinyl bag goo from storage" and found the following article. I do NOT KNOW if this will work. But, if the bag is already useless it might not hurt???

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-sticky-residue-from-vinyl/

If you do the same search, there are numerous other articles with different ideas of what may or may not work. I will let you decide.

^ Top
CarlMorrell

User Profile

Posted : 2018-07-11 7:03 PM
Post #37795 - In reply to #37793

Darryl,

Thanks for your reply. The laminating bag, was rolled up tight, in the original box, and it's been a long time since I used it.

I had no problems getting the goo off the outside with mineral spirits, easier than I expected. As you can imaging getting inside a 12" bag is not easy. I tried, and seemed to get the goo off the first few feet. There is brown staining that did not clean up. To be honest, for the price of a new bag, I'll just chuck this up to experience.

Regards, Carl

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2018-07-11 7:53 PM
Post #37796 - In reply to #37795

May I have you gooey bag back so I can actually see and inspect this condition first hand? I can have it picked up at your location so you dont have to ship it.

^ Top
CarlMorrell

User Profile

Posted : 2018-07-12 3:33 PM
Post #37797 - In reply to #37796

Darryl, I would be happy to send it to you. If I ship it, it gives me an excuse to stop at my favorite butcher and get bacon, then to my favorite donut shop. I'll send it tomorrow, Plenty of goo on the inside. I still have the original box. Is 553 River Rd, Brunswick Me, 04011 still correct?

BTW, Thanks for all your products, expertise and support.

Regards, Carl

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2018-07-12 3:50 PM
Post #37798 - In reply to #37797

Well, I would not want to come between a man and his bacon and donuts. Thanks for doing this and yes, that is the correct address. Keep track of what it cost you to send it and I will apply that to your next purchase of anything we carry.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta