Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Subject : Clamp Weight for Storing Flattened Veneer
Posted : 2018-06-25 6:30 PM
Post #37788

My mind was never sharp enough, when I studied instructions for flattening veneer, to note that if stored after flattening the veneer needed to be kept flat under pressure. So I don't have experience. From those that do, is a single piece of say 3/4" MDF or melamine board enough weight on top of flattened veneer to keep it flat indefinitely? A double layer of 3/4"? Triple layer? Does it matter how many layers of veneer (all the same size)?

^ Top
ckurak

User Profile

Subject : RE: Clamp Weight for Storing Flattened Veneer
Posted : 2018-06-26 7:56 AM
Post #37789 - In reply to #37788

Don,

I don't remember what I was taught about storing veneer either.

But, what I am thinking is to sandwich multiple sheets of veneer (all the same size as you mentioned) in between two pieces of 3/4" sheetstock (MDF, melamine, plywood). Then, use stretch-wrap to tightly hold the package together. Depending on the length of the package, I would probably apply the wrap at both ends and the middle. But, not make a complete envelope. I would be concerned that a complete wrap might cause moisture to be trapped in the veneer which might lead to mold (depending on storage environment).

Note that this is guess work. I have not done this. All of the times I needed to flatten veneer I have used the material in a project without leftovers.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta