Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Subject : Sand for Sand Shading
Posted : 2018-06-16 2:05 PM
Post #37773

Fun but serious question - what do you use for sand shading? When I first started working with veneer perhaps 15 or 20 years ago I came across a couple calls for "silver sand." A couple months of searching on the Internet and in veneering books didn't find a description of "silver sand." Lacking any better idea, I think I bought a bad of white playground sand at a big box store. Whatever I found, it is very fine grained and light colored.

Occasionally my veneer edge gets scortched/burned, so I thought I would try adding sand to my 6" cast iron skillet on a hotplate. Guessing that actual contact of the hot sand with the veneer is required for shading, I used a couple scraps of fiberglass windowscreen to screen the coarser grains out of common sand. Wondering if burning occurred i the past when the veneer edge touched the skillet, this time I picked up hot sand from the bottom of the skillet with a metal spoon, and then plunked the veneer edge in that. Seemed to work, no burning. And for this project I may have a hundred different pieces to sand shade.

So back to the title of this thread, what is your source of sand for sand shading?

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Subject : RE: Sand for Sand Shading
Posted : 2018-06-16 6:06 PM
Post #37774 - In reply to #37773

Just finished Internet search for "silver sand" and found a number of hits, mainly in the UK for gardening. Several sites said "quartz sand" and "silica sand" and "silver sand" and are the same. I think at least one site said silica sand is finer grit than quartz sand.

Silica sand reportedly is white because it is pure quartz, colored sands have iron and other minerals coating them.

Screened builders sand to remove the coarsest particles was added to my little bit of white sand, and mottled anigre only got dark gray. Didn't think to try another wood so don't know if anigre doesn't take as much color when sand shaded, or the combined sand isn't as effective.

^ Top
craig tufankjian

User Profile

Posted : 2018-06-16 8:47 PM
Post #37775 - In reply to #37774

Google. Sand shading with Janet Collins. 2 hour video. I don’t know if she offers up what sand she used but. Steve latta uses 100 grit washed silica sand.

^ Top
ckurak

User Profile

Posted : 2018-06-17 7:48 AM
Post #37776 - In reply to #37773

Don,

It has been quite some time since I did any sand shading, but here is what I remember.

A few years back, I attended a few of Paul Schurch's training sessions. One of them included sand shading. When I returned home I purchased a hot plate, large cast iron frying pan, and playground sand.

I already owned the long tongs used for picking up and handling small pieces of veneer. The tongs are helpful for placing marquetry pieces together as well as holding them in hot sand.

I believe the sand in the pan was about an inch deep. It does take some time to get the sand hot enough. Some test pieces of veneer will let you know when the sand is ready.

When ready, pick up the veneer piece with the tongs, not your fingers, and push the desired edge into the sand vertically. Do NOT push it so it touches the pan bottom. I remember counting to about 5 or so seconds, then pulling the piece out to check the color. It was a bit of trial and error, but got more comfortable to do with some practice. Sometimes I would insert the piece with the tongs, then let go. Sometimes I would hold it the entire time. Again, trial and error should teach you quickly. The timing depends on the temperature of the sand, the thickness of the veneer, the desired shaded, etc. Practice with scrap, burn a few pieces, and you will learn the timing.

I also remember re-hydrating the shaded pieces (with distilled water, of course) before assembling them in the layout. The heat sometimes would cause the piece to shrink in size. I cannot remember if I sprayed water on, or dunked it into the water. But, I do remember needing to reverse the shrinking process that sometimes occurs. Then, the wet pieces would need to be clamped and dried before using. I remember Paul's secret clamping method. Placing the pieces underneath the self-healing cutting mat on the workbench for an hour or so would usually suffice. (Or, did he call it the magic clamp, or magic press?)

I did take a quick look at the Janet Collins video Craig mentioned. I only watched the first few minutes (maybe I will watch it later when I have 2 hours). I did notice that she was placing the pieces in the sand with her fingers and had multiple pieces in at the same time. She did mention using tweezers was a good idea, then she started to use a small pair of tweezers. I prefer the tongs I purchased from Paul years ago. In all fairness to Ms. Collins, I have NOT watched the entire video yet. From the little bit I watched, she presents as quite professional and learned. (Now, I will have to put that video on my want-to-watch list.)

What I did notice was that she had 5-6 pieces in the hot sand for quite some time. They were all in the sand at the same time. Possibly she was just checking to see if the sand was hot enough yet as it was the beginning of her presentation. As I mentioned, I only watched a few minutes so far.

With Paul's method, each piece was worked on separately and the time in the sand was much, much shorter. And, with Paul's method the veneer piece was never touched by hand. The shaded piece would be much too hot to safely touch the piece with fingers.

If you have Paul's Marquetry video, you might want to take a look at it. Sand shading techniques is a topic listed on the video. I have the DVD someplace. I do not know if what I remember learning from Paul was from the video, in person, or both. It was a number of years ago. But I still have the "rose" marquetry piece that I did in class. It was one of Paul's patterns that he let me use. The pattern even included his method of marking the pattern as to what pieces and what edge of each piece needed to be shaded.

Again, this is all from memory from a decade or so back. I am sure that the methods have not changed, but my memory of them might have. Yikes!

^ Top
ckurak

User Profile

Posted : 2018-06-17 7:57 AM
Post #37777 - In reply to #37776

I just found a photo of the tongs I purchased from Paul.

He calls them V-Tong (Veneer Tweezers).

http://schurchwoodwork.com/all-products/v-tong-veneer-tweezers/

Paul wrote an article in 2012 for Fine Woodworking about sand shading. You need to have a subscription to read the entire article. However, the photo available to all shows the V-Tongs, a piece of veneer, and sand in a frying pan on a stove. The photo itself may be helpful.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2012/02/09/sand-shading-brings-marquetry-and-inlay-to-life

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Posted : 2018-06-17 11:24 AM
Post #37778 - In reply to #37773

Many thanks for the prompt replies. I learned sand shading from Paul Schurch's video and workshop, and wouldn't consider trying it without my pair of V-tongs.

Your responses encouraged me to try searching on the Internet again. Can't remember what my exact search term was, but it returned big box store Lowes with a 100 pound bag labelled Silver Sand. None of the local stores have it in stock, but I was able to get close enough to the company name on the bag, P W Gillibrand. Appears to be a large scale producer/distributor. Searching on "where to buy silver sand" returned, among others, Joann Fabrics. I hadn't seen pure white sand by itself in aquarium supply departments in big box stores, but that might be another possibility.

^ Top
jerrycousins

User Profile

Posted : 2018-06-21 12:17 PM
Post #37779 - In reply to #37778

i've been using "desert white repti sand" for shading. company name is "zoo-med"
i bought it years ago and just believe it must have been at an aquarium or reptile store.

i also use a solid flat-bottom hot plate and rather than putting the sand in a pan i put it right on the burner - and set the whole hot plate on a cookie sheet to make it less messy on the bench.
jerry

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta