< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
joe mcaskill

User Profile

Subject : Custom Bond veneer softener question
Posted : 2018-04-06 8:10 AM
Post #37722

Hi All,
I am about to start a crotch mahogany perimeter leaf table and i am about to flatten the crotch veneer. Has anyone used the Custom Bond veneer softener? It is a 96" round table when done, so i will have to work with the veneer for more than a day to do the cutting and layup. I have used this softener for smaller panels and it has worked well.The instructions say the plasticizing effect lasts a couple of days. Wondering if anybody has used this product and kept the veneer flat for longer periods by keeping it clamped flat.

^ Top
Aaron Paris

User Profile

Subject : RE: Custom Bond veneer softener question
Posted : 2018-05-20 7:09 AM
Post #37769 - In reply to #37722

I have used this product and it does work. If you have a large layup like yours the key is to keep your veneers clamped between two pcs of 3/4 material to help keep them flat and not to flatten them until you are ready to start cutting. As time goes by and you work with it and air gets to it ,the veneer will slightly start to go back to wrinkled. But not to the extreme as when it was first flattened.
I had this very concern when I made a 60" round table top made from Walnut crotch and it all work out fine.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta