Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
george seifert

User Profile

Subject : flattening veneer
Posted : 2018-01-27 7:59 PM
Post #37690

I'm trying to flatten some curly figure Etimoe. The ripples caused by the figure seem difficult to completely flatten. I'm using a glycerin/water mixture and I'm clamping the veneer between two sheets of melamine for about 2 hours. I'm new to this so I'm not sure if I should be able to flatten out the ripples or do I just have to live with some unevenness in the veneer.

Thanks,
George

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Subject : RE: flattening veneer
Posted : 2018-01-28 4:28 PM
Post #37691 - In reply to #37690

Not sure if this will help, but from recent discussion my understanding is that the veneer needs to be thoroughly wetted on both sides.

My mix includes white or yellow glue. I'm using a vacuum veneering bag, for more even pressure, and allow about 3 days in the bag with several paper changes to dry the veneer. The first day and a half, each side of the veneer gets a layer of fiberglas window screening, so the drying paper does not get stuck to the veneer. I think I use about 3 sheets of newsprint or wrapping paper on top of the stack and below the bottom, and 3 or 4 sheets between layers of veneer. I change the paper after 4 or 5 hours, and again before going home for the night. Three changes the second and third days. If the paper feels dry the fourth morning I stop.

All of this is from memory, but I think it is correct.

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Subject : RE: flattening veneer
Posted : 2018-01-28 7:00 PM
Post #37692 - In reply to #37690

I’m not looking at your veneer directly, but with most curly species you cant get the curl perfectly flat in my experience. And its not necessary, as long as the entire sheet is basically flat.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta