Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
John Obrien

User Profile

Subject : Flattening Veneer
Posted : 2017-05-04 10:13 PM
Post #37621

I am attempting to "condition" some dry and brittle veneer. I made up a solution of water, glue, alcohol, and glycerin and am ready to start the process. I don't know how long the veneer should have this solution on it, as I have never done this before. Should the veneer actually soak in this solution for a hour or so or should I just brush it on. I want to be sure that the veneer has totally absorbed the solution before I start the drawn out process of drying it out.
I assume some of you have done this before and could offer some suggestions. I thank you in advance!

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Subject : RE: Flattening Veneer
Posted : 2017-05-05 7:23 AM
Post #37623 - In reply to #37621

Sometimes I have flattened veneer and gotten perfect results, sometimes after drying the veneer was less wrinkly but not fully flat.

The last time, I brushed the solution on liberally with a 3" or 4" wide foam brush, placing each wetted leaf in the sandwich of vinyl window screen and dry newsprint or similar paper before wetting the next leaf. It might be interesting to apply to a piece of scrap veneer, then break apart to check for penetration, but I can't imagine the thin veneer would not have been wetted through and through at that point.

I used the vacuum bag and changed the paper twice the first and second days, ceased use of the screening at the beginning of the 3rd day and I think changed the paper twice the 3rd and 4th days, after which the veneer seemed dry. Can't remember if I kept the veneer between boards with a weight on top after the 4th day.

^ Top
John Obrien

User Profile

Posted : 2017-05-05 8:53 AM
Post #37625 - In reply to #37623

After 2 sessions of drying for an hour each and changing paper in the same manner that you spoke of, many of my veneers are brittle. So much so that I am afraid to bend them in either direction for fear of splitting them. They are clearly too dry and have not been saturated enough with the solution. The burl walnut pieces seem to be more flexible, perhaps because of the more open pore structure.
I am leaning towards soaking the pieces thoroughly and leaving them wet in an airtight container for perhaps an hour to permit total penetration of the solution which will soften the lignan(sp?). Comments?

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2017-05-05 9:51 AM
Post #37626 - In reply to #37625

You want to SOAK it! I use a paint tray, if the veneer is not too large, and submerge it. 5 minutes is plenty. When you add the glue to the mixture it will stiffen the veneer up somewhat when its dry.

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Posted : 2017-05-05 6:21 PM
Post #37627 - In reply to #37626

Thanks for the clarification Darryl.

^ Top
John Obrien

User Profile

Posted : 2017-05-05 8:24 PM
Post #37628 - In reply to #37627

I took a workshop where this process was demonstrated on some walnut Burl. I was able to roll it around a pencil it was so plyable.

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Posted : 2017-05-06 7:50 AM
Post #37629 - In reply to #37628

And how was the flattening solution introduced to the burl veneer - soaking, repeated wet brushing, . . .?

^ Top
John Obrien

User Profile

Posted : 2017-05-06 1:07 PM
Post #37630 - In reply to #37629

Thats what I can't remember. Getting old I guess. Thats why I reached out. Since my first method of simply brushing it on, wait a few minutes, scrape it off - didn't work, I am going to soak it in a plastic tub for 30 minutes and then start the drying process. I will report the results...Now, to try and upload the photo of the pencil wtapped in burl veneer on this forum.... hmmm, doesn't seem obvious...
Attached file : pencil_small.jpg (21KB - 9 downloads)

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta