Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
nate graham

User Profile

Subject : wrapping veneer around these corners
Posted : 2017-04-25 3:13 PM
Post #37602

I'm building some speaker cabinets, I would like to bend the veneer around these two corners. the angle is roughly 30 degrees, I've done this successfully a few times, but my last attempt left ridges and was a complete nightmare, the "technique" I'm using is I would cut the veneer to size, apply glue to all three surfaces, put the panel face side up on a form that is mitered as well, wet the top surface of the veneer a bit, put a piece of 1/4" ply that was cut and taped back together so it could bend around the corners to act as a caul, put in the bag, start the pump, coax it to bend as the pressure is added, then hope like hell nothing went wrong.
that worked out the first 7 times on sapele and bubinga, the 8th time when I pulled it out there were ridges on the widest side and the 2" side.
I'm just wondering if there's a better method

Attached file : corner detail.jpg (22KB - 14 downloads)

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Subject : RE: wrapping veneer around these corners
Posted : 2017-04-26 11:15 AM
Post #37603 - In reply to #37602

Can you identify what might have been different on that 8th one? Seven if a row is pretty good odds, you must have been doing something right to have that much success, What kind of veneer did you use on that 8th one?

^ Top
nate graham

User Profile

Posted : 2017-04-26 1:59 PM
Post #37604 - In reply to #37603

The eighth was Bubinga as well, I think what bothers me the most is the blind aspect to this method. After rereviewing your video I might try glueing the wide part holding the glue back just shy of the first corner, let that set up then come back and work the rest, these panels are 48" long x 27 wide x 1", so I feel a bit to rushed and stress trying to do it all at once alone.
But I'm wide open to suggestions of better ways

^ Top
Aaron Paris

User Profile

Posted : 2017-04-27 12:32 PM
Post #37605 - In reply to #37604

I have used two different methods when bending veneer around the edges. One way is a continuous piece of the breather mesh netting acting as the caul and the other is using laminate backer sheets. The sheets are thin and flexible and work well for this. I still use the breather mesh on top of backer sheets as well just as a guarantee for air flow.

^ Top
nate graham

User Profile

Posted : 2017-04-28 5:48 AM
Post #37606 - In reply to #37605

That sounds viable. What exactly is laminate backer??

^ Top
Aaron Paris

User Profile

Posted : 2017-04-28 12:16 PM
Post #37608 - In reply to #37606

Laminate backer comes in 4x8 sheets and is used to balance countertops when using laminate. It's usually brown in color and .024" thick.

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2017-04-28 7:51 AM
Post #37607 - In reply to #37604

Another option would be to use a tapered caul on the main flat part of the panel and leave the angle and the short flat part directly against the bag which you could massage as needed right through the bag with a small wallpaper roller. Make a wide gently sloping taper, about 1" on a 1/4" caul, down to a knife edge. Have this edge right up close to where the angle starts. This way the bag will smoothly transition from the caul to the veneer without leaving a "bump" where glue might collect. With this method you will be able to see what's going on at the angles and assist right through the bag.

^ Top
nate graham

User Profile

Posted : 2017-04-28 7:21 PM
Post #37609 - In reply to #37607

Thanks Arron, I'll give that a try, and yes Darryl, I went back and rewatched your video and like that method also because of having the sight line, so now I have two methods to experiment with before I lay up the next set, thank you guys big big.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta