< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
george seifert

User Profile

Subject : 2mm veneer for marquetry
Posted : 2017-04-04 10:30 AM
Post #37591

Hi,

I'm new here and really hope someone here help me out. I use 2mm thick wood for double bevel marquetry. When possible I just resaw a piece from a thicker piece of stock. But for some exotics the only practical way is to use commercial veneer. I'm trying to figure out the best way to glue a veneer onto a base piece (like poplar). I used to use Nexabond for small pieces because it didn't swell the wood, but it's not available anymore (the smell really got to me). I've tried Titebond cold press veneer glue and regular Titebond, but have a lot of cupping. I've tried gluing the veneer to the thicker poplar stock (some with just the top layer and some with a cross banded piece) and then resawing as with regular wood with varying degrees of success. Is this just a pipe dream or is there a way to end up with a reasonably flat 2mm thick piece?

Thanks much,
George

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Subject : RE: 2mm veneer for marquetry
Posted : 2017-04-04 11:05 AM
Post #37592 - In reply to #37591

If you want absolutely no swelling at all then use either epoxy or polyurethane glue. If you want a low moisture glue, better than the PVA glue you have been using, consider a urea resin glue like Unibond 800.

^ Top
george seifert

User Profile

Posted : 2017-04-06 6:25 PM
Post #37593 - In reply to #37592

Thanks.

^ Top
Don Stephan

User Profile

Posted : 2017-04-07 7:48 AM
Post #37594 - In reply to #37591

If you are assembling a sheet of marquetry and then gluing the sheet to a substrate urea formaldehyde has been widely used by many people. If you are trying to glue down just one piece, hot hide glue may be an option. It was used for more than a century for marquetry. In either case, initial experimentation may provide some confidence before working with a good piece.

^ Top
george seifert

User Profile

Posted : 2017-04-12 10:18 AM
Post #37601 - In reply to #37594

Don,

I'm gluing a piece of commercial veneer to a substrate so that I can then use that piece (now 2mm thick) for marquetry. Some guys build the picture from the thin veneer and others use thicker pieces. I prefer the thicker pieces. They seem easier to work with.

George

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta