Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
David Brady

User Profile

Subject : How to avoid two-sided veneer slippage while gluing
Posted : 2024-09-27 2:06 PM
Post #38074

I plan to veneer the show face of 1/2" MDF with walnut burl and the non-show face (inside lid of a humidor) with Spanish cedar of the same veneer thickness as the walnut. While I can line the show face veneer up accurately by cutting it oversized, taping the edge corners to the caul and then lining it up with the MDF substrate, how do I:
(1) keep the substrate from shifting after lining it up with the walnut, and
(2) keep the non-show face Spanish cedar in a fixed position (aligned) and from shifting while putting it in the vacuum bag and under pressure?

Really appreciate the experience and help from this forum!

^ Top
craig tufankjian

User Profile

Subject : RE: How to avoid two-sided veneer slippage while gluing
Posted : 2024-09-27 6:17 PM
Post #38075 - In reply to #38074

David,

Align the Spanish cedar where your want it and use a household iron set on " wool" and heat two corners to lock the veneer in place . Just a small amount of each corner. you will know the glue is set when it stops bubbling. Once the first corner is locked in place run your hand across the veneer at the edge to smooth it out if it's not flat.

^ Top
David Brady

User Profile

Posted : 2024-09-27 9:36 PM
Post #38076 - In reply to #38075

Craig, first let me thank you for this response.

Second, this may be huge and something I didn't know. I'm using Unibond 800. So are you saying that small amount of heat on the corner will activate the Unbind just enough to tack it in place?

I've only been veneering one side of 3/4 Spanish cedar (humidor build) believing it would stay flat and not cup/bow once pressed and cured. When I do just one side I cut the veneer oversized, tape the very tips of the four corners to the caul, lay the Spanish cedar substrate on that (coated with Unibond 800), tape that down to avoid shifting and then top it with another caul. However, I recently discovered the cedar will, in fact, cup slightly with highly figured burls if not veneer backed. If what I think you're saying is true (which would be a huge time saver), I could eliminate all this taping not only for the non-show side (cedar veneer) but the show side as well.

Please let me know if my assumption is correct and thanks so much!

^ Top
craig tufankjian

User Profile

Posted : 2024-09-29 5:37 PM
Post #38077 - In reply to #38076

David,

You can use heat with urea resin glue. If however your veneer is oversized it would not hurt to still use the tape until you are comfortable with the " heat set" technique. I use that method when I want to lock a veneer joint on specific location on a panel or small piece. Another technique is to staple the veneer to the substrate, and by staple I mean the kind of staple commonly used in a paper stapler.. this is good for a panel that is over sized and the staple will be trimmed away in the final sizing mode. When it comes to glue, as the great Mies van Der rohe once said, "less is more".

It is definitely better to do both sides at the same time to avoid cupping.

^ Top
David Brady

User Profile

Posted : 2024-09-29 8:12 PM
Post #38078 - In reply to #38077

Excellent! Thanks so much for your help, Craig. This GREAT information.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta