Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
CarlMorrell

User Profile

Subject : better nipple
Posted : 2024-05-28 5:52 PM
Post #38056

I have the worst luck with these nipples. I put a new one on, and it tore immediately. Not fun when I have no spare veneer and no vacuum. Is there a better way to mate the hose to the bag?

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Subject : RE: better nipple
Posted : 2024-05-29 9:20 AM
Post #38057 - In reply to #38056

I’m very surprised youre having difficulty with a new nipple. They are all polyurethane heat welded to a piece of polyurethane sheet. Polyurethane is about as tough as it gets. Where exactly is it separating? Where the nipple is heat welded to the patch, or where the patch is glued to the bag?

^ Top
CarlMorrell

User Profile

Posted : 2024-05-29 7:42 PM
Post #38058 - In reply to #38057

Sorry you became the target of my frustration. FYI, I have made close to 50 pieces of furniture. One took close to 100 pressings. My 4x4 bag is beyond used up. So I switched to a 4x8 bag which has only had a few uses. But the nipple must have been original and 20 years old? I had a spare nipple on hand, and I think I damaged it trying to get the brass tube from the hose in.

Part of my issue is the plastic plug in the platen, it is worn, so I just replaced it. the brass tube falls out of the platen, and leaves the hose dangling in the bag. I also need to think to lube the brass tube first. I could be overstressing it when I try to get the tube into the nipple.

But they all fail at the joint between the nipple and the vinyl flat.
Attached file : stitched small.jpg (43KB - 3 downloads)

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Posted : 2024-05-30 9:21 AM
Post #38059 - In reply to #38058

Whoa Carl! You actually have one of our blue vinyl bottomed bags still in service??!! Thats amazing! We havent made that particular bag with a blue bottom in I cant remember how long. I’m not surprised you had nipple problems. Also, that is a vinyl bag which doesnt compare to the polyurethane in durability. It looks like the spare nipple was pretty old too.

As far as getting the brass fitting into the nipple, we mold that nipple pretty tight to prevent any leakage there. Some kind of grease will make that work smoothly. As far as the brass fitting holding into the platen sleeve, manufacturing can be challenging sometimes. The brass fitting manufacturer changed their OD dimensions and the injection molding guy that made the platen sleeves for me for 30 years died and I then had to remake those. Probably too much TMI for you. Anyway, I suggest you get a new nipple patch and maybe consider a polyurethane bag.

^ Top
CarlMorrell

User Profile

Posted : 2024-05-30 9:56 AM
Post #38060 - In reply to #38059

Yeah, me and all my stuff is old. I am still using a compact 100. Still draws 22 inches. I keep telling myself I am too old to be doing this. But here I am. I think I bought the compact 100 and bag last century, 1998 or 1999! If you saw the 4x4 bag you would be shocked I still tried to use it. It has several patches and looks like crap. I just cant throw anything away.

I promise if I do make another piece of furniture, I'll buy a new bag, throw my 3 old ones out. and a new pump.

The nipple I put on last week was old, and the flat round part seemed pretty thin. I did order 2 replacements last week.

Thanks for your support Darryl!

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta