< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
digger

User Profile

Subject : Making a curved panel with a Kirei Board skin
Posted : 2024-07-17 4:06 PM
Post #38068

Hello,

I'm working on finishing a small powder-room project that has laid dormant for about ten years. One part is to construct a curved door for the vanity. This will be my first time working with a curved form and vacuum press. The approximate size of the front door panel is 26" x 19-1/4" and the height of the inside curve is about 3-3/8", or a radius of about 15".

The material I have on hand (for the last 10 years!) is 6mm Kirei Board* and 1/8" bendable plywood that looks to be 3-ply. What I figured on is a sandwich of:

6mm Kirei
1/8 ply
3/8 ply
1/8 ply
6mm Kirei

All bounded with Unibond 800. The 3/8" plywood I have yet to buy.

Here are some questions:

1. Does it look like the three inner layers of ply will be enough to make the door stable?

2. Since the skin will be 6mm thick should I build the male form to match its curve? Or should the form match the inner curve of the plywood layers?

3. If the form fits the 6mm Kirei, Should I lay that up at the same time as the plywood layers, or use a piece temporarily as a caul and glue up the outer Kirei skins as later steps?

Thanks for any thoughts, advice, and help.

digger

* Now discontinued Kirei Board is described as:
"a composite panel manufactured from reclaimed sorghum straw, poplar wood bonding layers and a water-resistant no-added formaldehyde adhesive. Strong, lightweight and environmentally friendly, Kirei Board is perfect for wall covering, cabinetry, furniture, flooring and finished products in residential, commercial, hospitality and institutional applications." If helpful I could post the spec sheet for it.

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Subject : RE: Making a curved panel with a Kirei Board skin
Posted : 2024-07-18 8:30 AM
Post #38069 - In reply to #38068

Two glue lines in a three ply layup will not hold the shape well. I would do all five laminations at once. With Unibond 800 you’ll have plenty of work time to get it all laid up at once.

^ Top
digger

User Profile

Subject : RE: Making a curved panel with a Kirei Board skin
Posted : 2024-07-18 1:51 PM
Post #38070 - In reply to #38069

Thanks, Darryl. That makes sense. In that case I think I'll go with 5 layers of 1/8 inch ply rather than use the 3/8" -- otherwise it will end up pretty thick.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta