Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

^ Top
Toonces

User Profile

Subject : Having problems first time veneering
Posted : 2024-06-19 5:37 PM
Post #38064

I've got this unusual project going on where I'm trying to produce what I'll call veneer wafers. I'm getting raw veneer from mbveneer.com and the goal is to back it with something very thin for support and to have it come out of the clamps perfectly flat, and as thin as possible. Instead of using the pricey stuff I'm first practicing with maple veneer from Woodcraft and using backer from Flagg that I've been told is phenolic, if anyone is familiar with that company; Wilsonart just bought them.

So last night I mate up some .025" backer with some .020" maple veneer using Unibond800 modified urea resin glue in my newly arrived (!) vacuum bag press. The glue was spread with a 1/16th notched glue spreader, so not too thick but it definitely could've been thinner. After pressing overnight it comes out this morning and immediately curls, and gets more curled with time. The obvious first change in this process to see if I can get the veneer flattened would be to veneer both sides of the backer, which I'll be doing tonight. I got 4" glue roller along with the vacuum bag press so I'll try that out tonight instead of the glue spreader and see what happens. I'd say the glue will go on quite a bit thinner using the roller.

So my question is...what other methods and materials should I look into to produce this ever-elusive veneer wafer I'm after? I don't have any experience using rubber cement but if a form of that could be evenly applied with maybe a spray gun or something I think that might be a process to explore.

I'm all ears.

^ Top
Darryl Keil

User Profile

Subject : RE: Having problems first time veneering
Posted : 2024-06-20 8:19 AM
Post #38065 - In reply to #38064

It’s difficult to get a two ply to stay nice and flat, especially when the materials are different and not the exact same thickness. The amount of glue you are using will not make much of a difference so I would focus too much on that. The fact that you will be making a three ply this time with the same veneer front and back and the backer in the middle will make a major difference. Also, and this is very important, when you take it out of the press keep it weighted under plywood or something for a couple days. Weighted but not hard clamped. You should achieve much better results

^ Top
Toonces

User Profile

Subject : RE: Having problems first time veneering
Posted : 2024-06-21 10:40 PM
Post #38066 - In reply to #38065

Thanks for the advice Darryl. Yes I'm finding this urea glue takes maybe 2-3 days to reach its final hardness. Maybe two hours in the clamps at 80F and then keep it between weighted boards for a few days is the formula I've arrived at now.

back
Navigate threads:
< Previous Thread :: Next Thread >

Legend      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
Toggle e-mail notification

Logo by MAZY
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v1.5.14b public beta